It is first of all a “love at first sight- story” for the island of Grado.
In the early 20s, Ottavio and Carla Dall’Oglio arrive in Grado and fall in love with the lovely island.
Ten years later they decide to buy a small house with 9 rooms and a café, the “Caffè Garibaldi”.
In 1937 the Hotel Diana is officially opened with three floors and 27 rooms.
Ottavio suddenly dies in 1941 leaving his wife Carla and their young daughter Carla-Uccia at the head of the hotel, together with grand-mother Angiolina.
These three women decide to run the house alone and make it a real women business generation after generation, Uccia taking over with her daughter Ottavia , continuing with daughters Marina and Beatrice.
The men of the family join these working ladies when their professional careers draw to an end.
Pio Tomaselli, Uccia’s husband, an extraordinary pilot from the Italian Military Airforce, comes in the early 70s and Ferdi Marchioro, Ottavia’ s husband, knowledgeable steel expert working for the European Commission in Brussels joins his wife at the end of the 90s.
The hotel is enlarged in the early 50s to its present size in 1967.
It is regularly renewed with full care year after year, becoming a meeting point for the whole family.
We are today the fifth generation with young Anna and Matteo and many of our guests follow the same pattern coming year after year with their children and grand-children.
Lions Club Grado meets here.
In 1999 the family decides to buy the nearby Villa Rosa which is completely renewed in year 2000 becoming a lovely small family residence.
Many ask us where the name “Diana” comes from.
Years ago, grand-father Ottavio, passionate for history and mythology, was very much fond of Diana, the hunt goddess.